Clinton (MS) Alumnae Chapter

HISTORY
 
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority was founded on January 13, 1913 by twenty-two collegiate women at Howard University.  These students wanted to use their collective strength to promote academic excellence and to provide assistance to persons in need.  The first public act performed by the Delta Founders involved their participation in the Women's Suffrage March in Washington, D.C., March 1913.  Delta Sigma Theta Sorority was incorporated in 1930. 
 

A Portrait of the Founders of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.

(1st Row): Winona Cargile Alexander, Madree Penn White, Wertie Blackwell Weaver, Vashti Turley Murphy, Ethel Cuff Black, Fredericka Chase Dodd  (2nd Row): Osceola Macarthy Adams, Pauline Oberdorfer Minor, Edna Brown Coleman, Edith Mott Young, Marguerite Young Alexander, Naomi Sewell Richardson, Eliza P. Shippen (3rd Row): Zephyr Chisom Carter, Myra Davis Hemmings, Mamie Reddy Rose, Bertha Pitts Campbell, Florence Letcher Toms, Olive Jones, Jessie McGuire Dent, Jimmie Bugg Middleton, Ethel Carr Watson

The original portrait is property of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. and hangs in the sorority's National Headquarters in Washington, D.C. The artist is Tarleton Blackwell. 

 
 

This website is the sole property and responsibility of the Clinton (MS) Alumnae Chapter.